Tuesday, July 8, 2014

What Happened To Our Flowers? : Floral Angels

It is no secret that I am a HUGE lover of flowers; pretty, big, fluffy, romantic flowers! If you check out my Instagram feed, most likely you will find daily flower pics, I love them. So when it came to our wedding, it was pretty high up on the priority list to have pretty and a lot of, lovely flowers {THANK YOU JAY!!!} The question was not what to do with them on the day of, the question was, what do you do with all the pretty flowers AFTER our wedding day! 
I asked our amazing florist, Jay Archer, if there was a local hospital or charity that we could donate our flowers to the day after our big day. We had a lot of beautiful peonies, sweet peas, roses and sigh, I just hated seeing them go in the trash. So many of our guests were from out of town, and I knew we could not take them home, so I didn't know what to do with them. I was excited when Jay introduced me to the Floral Angels, perfect name right, who would take our arrangements, rearrange them, and donate them for us! They are angels! 
The Floral Angels is truly a wonderful idea!  Having worked in the events industry throughout my entire professional career, I understand the amount of waste that can be produced after the event, with companies throwing flowers away. Flowers are meant to make people smile, and brighten their day, so I am glad to see these ladies started this charity.  The team consists of: Julie Ritter, Frances Hunter and Amanda Romain who all met at a floral design class in London and were amazed by the waste in the floral industry. They took their floral skills, along with other volunteers, and took donated event flowers and started to rearrange them to drop off at local charities. They deliver to hospices, palliative care homes, Maggie's Cancer Centre, Hestia Women's Shelters, Care Homes, Magic Me's Cocktails for the Elderly and to many other deserving beneficiaries within the Greater London community.

As you can see from Jay's Instagram picture above, we had a lot of romantic flower colors; pinks and peaches, glittery items and gold! Jay's team broke down our arrangements the day after the wedding and dropped off the stems to the ladies who put together new arrangements for the charity. 
The flowers were delivered them to Maggie’s Cancer Centre at Charing Cross Hospital. The centre is a day care centre for people suffering from cancer, their families and their friends. We were so glad to know that the flowers that will forever bring us smiles in photos, provided a little sunshine and happiness to the centre! 
I often hear people comment how so many flowers can be such a waste! Well, our wedding flowers brought me so much happiness! I kept asking Beau if we could sleep in the marquee surrounded by the flowers {hahaha, that did NOT happen!}, and I truly can't wait to share photos with you. If the flowers brought us so much happiness, I know they will bring others smiles too. I highly recommend contacting the Floral Angels if you are interested in donating your wedding flowers, contact here. Who doesn't smile and get some joy from a gift of flowers! Thank you Floral Angels

xoxo - Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...